Tuesday, September 6, 2011

One Year On

Sunday marked the one year anniversary of the 7.1 earthquake that started it all.

The 4th of September 2010 changed the lives of hundreds of thousands.

It's been a tumultuous year. We've been hit with blow after blow after blow since 4.35am on that fateful day. Boxing Day, the deadly 22nd of February 2011 quake (that in itself was a unique earthquake never before seen in the world), and of course the 13th June earthquakes.

What makes this whole series of events even more unique and intriguing is the fact the aftershocks have not ceased. And they're sizeable ones. As I write this, according to Geonet.org.nz and quake.crowe.co.nz we've had 7518 earthquakes since the 7.1 magnitude. That works out to be an average of 20.5 per day.

The general going for a major earthquake and it's subsequent aftershocks is that they subside after a while. Well it's been a year and they're not subsiding.

In saying that, they're tolerable. I'd call myself a veteran earthquake survivor now, not trying to toot my own horn or anything. They don't bother me. I'll admit there are times when one hits and it starts off slowly, progressing into something a bit harder and you begin prepare yourself to move to a safer position in the room. But other than that. they're not bad.

The frustrating thing is the fact that nobody can get insurance on contents or on buildings. From a business point of view, I totally get it. I wouldn't be taking a risk with a city that has it's future basically carved in stone when it comes to earthquakes. But from a resident and worker in the construction industry, it's frustrating as hell. Without insurance people don't want to risk building. Just in case the worst case scenario happens. And the odds are sadly, very much in favour of it.

We can't move forward.


There is still so much to be demolished. Especially in the central business district which was hit the hardest in February. The new city plan is spectacular and I look forward to being able to be a part of its construction and as a resident, stepping forth into a seemingly new city. I hope that they keep parts of the old in the new, replicas of the fallen building façades would be high on my priority list. I don't want Christchurch to lose its identity and heritage. It'll be interesting to see how and what Architect's take their inspiration from when it comes to shaping the city. I have faith though, I think it'll be spectacular when it's finally done. If I still have this ten years from now, I'll be sure to post photographs of the new Christchurch.

It's at times like these where the old proverb comes into play; every dark cloud has a silver lining.

We will prevail and fight. We will win this. Christchurch will stand proud once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment